Welcome

This is a place for my opinions on what I read, some movies or whatever else I find interesting. I love reading. I can find something positive about everything I read, at least I hope I can. I understand it takes a great deal of love and effort to write a book and to get it published. An author does not set out to write a crappy book, this is/was their baby. They got up at all hours of the night to feed it.

I don't see how you can give a true review of a book rushing through it. Don't you need to savor it a bit? I don't want my opinion to discourage anyone from reading. I hope you find something here you find interesting.

I buy most of my books, I get a few ARC, and I visit my library when my funds are low. I'm not trying to get you to buy anything by my opinions on the books I've read. I don't care if you buy it, borrow it, or check it out at the library. Just read. :)


Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth


AUTHOR: Carrie Ryan
PAGES: 308
WEBSITE: http://www.carrieryan.com/
TWITTER: @carrieryan
ACQUIRED: Library

SUMMARY: Mary lives in a small village, where Sisterhood make the rules and the Guardians serve and protect, enclosed by a large fence. The purpose of the fence is to keep the villagers safe and keep out the Unconsecrated who come up from the Forest of Hands and Teeth and relentlessly pound on the fence. This is how it is, and this is how it has always been. Life is within these fences and nothing is left on the outside. There are various theories why this village exists. Some claim they are the chosen people and their ancestors were the best of their time and were sent to the village to survive. But Mary hopes for more, always wanted more, knew there was more to life than staying behind the fence. Out there, past the Forest of Hands and Teeth is the ocean. Her mother had always told her stories about the ocean, fairy tales others would say.
Mary learns a few secrets of the Sisterhood while staying in the Cathedral. And she begins to question the Sisterhood, her belief in God and whether there are others out beyond the fences.
Mary begins to realize that her dreams will never come true, she will never see the ocean, she will never be able to marry the man she loves. Her life is about duty and what is best for the village.
When the fences are breached and the Unconsecrated come pouring in Mary must choose between the one she is Bound to and the one she loves, between her village or chasing her dream.

SUMMARY: When I first started reading this book I thought it was going in the same direction as M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village." After reading a few chapters I realized it was nothing like that movie. I totally got sucked into Mary's world. I could hear the Unconsecrated, a.k.a zombies, constant moans. I wondered, with Mary, is the ocean real in her world, would she ever taste the salty water.
Mary struggling to come to terms with the fact that life inside the village was not about love but about duty was heartbreaking. She was Bound to a man that loved her, while she longed for the love of his brother, who was promised to her best friend.
Mary loses so much I couldn't see how she kept going. Her world is turned upside down but she holds on to her dream. In the end is it worth it? What kind of world is she really living in?
It was a great read. I really loved it. I wanted to laugh, cry and scream "RUN MARY RUN!!!" in some parts.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really interesting - I'm not sure by i think this one is in my tbr list. Oh and your description also reminds me of "Stardust."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting. I always wondered what this book was about, I think I was expecting something like a teen horror story, but your summary has intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gricel. It is a YA book and it does have some element of horror. But I wouldn't classify it as a horror book. There really is more to it than just the whole zombie element. It was really good and you really get to understand Mary and care for her. I was going to put up the book trailer, but I thought it didn't do the book justice. It was a good trailer but it emphasizes on the horror aspect. And I found the book had so much more to offer than just the horror side of it.

    ReplyDelete

Sleeping Beauty Fairies

SHIVER

hush, hush

FAIRY AT WORK

FAIRY AT WORK

TIPS

Book Odor Removal:

I bought a book at a library book sale, it had a strange odor. Someone gave me this suggestion to remove the smell, and it worked, so I thought I'd share.
Put the book in a ziploc bag along with 1/3 cup(more or less) of Arm & Hammer baking soda and seal shut. Leave the book alone for 2 or 3 days. It worked for me, hope it helps you too.

PlayList


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones