Welcome

This is a place for my opinions on what I read, some movies or whatever else I find interesting. I love reading. I can find something positive about everything I read, at least I hope I can. I understand it takes a great deal of love and effort to write a book and to get it published. An author does not set out to write a crappy book, this is/was their baby. They got up at all hours of the night to feed it.

I don't see how you can give a true review of a book rushing through it. Don't you need to savor it a bit? I don't want my opinion to discourage anyone from reading. I hope you find something here you find interesting.

I buy most of my books, I get a few ARC, and I visit my library when my funds are low. I'm not trying to get you to buy anything by my opinions on the books I've read. I don't care if you buy it, borrow it, or check it out at the library. Just read. :)


Friday, October 16, 2009

The Postmistress


AUTHOR: SARAH BLAKE
PAGES: 318
WEBSITE: http://www.sarahblakebooks.com/
AVAILABLE: FEB. 2010
AQUIRED: ARC recieved by Barnes&Noble Free

SUMMARY: It is a time of war. World War II is going on and Frankie is reporting it back over the air waves through the radio into the homes of Americans.
In Franklin, Massachusetts, a small town on Cape Cod, Emma, the new bride of the town doctor, listens to Frankie deliver her message, "we must do something."

Frankie Bard, an American radio gal, is reporting from the Blitz in London. She feels there is a deeper story to be told, the story of the Jews. She is determined to capture their voices, their stories and shed some truth on what this is really going on in this war.

Iris James is the new postmistress of Franklin. She brings with her a sense of order. She takes her job very seriously. She understands how important her role is in keeping the mail delivered to those who are desperate for any type of word from loved ones, and how important it is for a simple letter to be delivered on time.

When Emma's husband, Will, decides to "do something," which means volunteering his services abroad, Emma feels herself slipping away. She had always felt alone, until she met Will, and now her world was being turned upside down. Everyday she wrote Will a letter. And everyday Iris watched Emma open her mailbox to find a letter from Will that she had just placed inside.

Iris finds herself breaking the rules by steaming open someone else letter, reading it and then making the decision not to deliver it.
While a war is going on, the three women find themselves together in a thread of a story that intertwines them. In the end no matter how you try to change an ending what will be will be. Everything matters, everything adds up, its all there is.

OPINION: This is an ARC, so it might have changes that would effect my opinion on it when it is completely polished and ready for stores. With that said, I found the beginning of the book had no rhythm and was patchy. I really couldn't get myself to keep reading it for any period of time. That was until I reached chapter 6, about half way through that chapter the book turned around for me. I was finally able to understand the characters and care about the story.
I'm not big on war stories, so I can't say I loved this book. World War II plays a huge role in this book, so if you enjoy reading about that time in history you might enjoy this book.
I really didn't care for Frankie and as I kept reading nothing every got me to want to know her. The last few chapters I could relate to her a little. But I really wish their was more to the story of Iris and Emma instead of so much focus on Frankie.
In the end I'm glad I read it. I think we should all read something that isn't what we would normally read. I learned some things I didn't know about that time in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sleeping Beauty Fairies

SHIVER

hush, hush

FAIRY AT WORK

FAIRY AT WORK

TIPS

Book Odor Removal:

I bought a book at a library book sale, it had a strange odor. Someone gave me this suggestion to remove the smell, and it worked, so I thought I'd share.
Put the book in a ziploc bag along with 1/3 cup(more or less) of Arm & Hammer baking soda and seal shut. Leave the book alone for 2 or 3 days. It worked for me, hope it helps you too.

PlayList


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones